The smarter way to stay on top of the satellite broadcasting and communications industry
Ajit Pai, chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, moved to allow the agency to officially approve T-Mobile's merger with Sprint under an order aimed at setting up DISH Network as a fourth wireless competitor, the agency announced. The FCC may vote in late September on the deal, which still faces a federal lawsuit against a number of states on antitrust grounds. BNN Bloomberg (Canada) (8/14)
DISH Network is "casting a wide net" in searching for vendors to supply equipment for its proposed 5G network and has put an emphasis on using macro cell towers rather than small cells because coverage concerns outweigh those of capacity, said Executive Vice President Tom Cullen. "There are a lot of good ideas out there from players that are not traditional wireless companies," he added. FierceWireless (8/12)
The majority of US broadband customers plan to purchase data privacy or security services in the next year, but 38% expect such services to be included without any additional charge, Parks Associates reports. The other 62% are willing to pay for such services through one-time fees, warranties or subscriptions. FierceTelecom (8/13)
AT&T introduced its new over-the-top streaming offering in 10 markets across five states in advance of an expected national launch this year. AT&T TV employs an Android device capable of transmitting 4K TV, cloud-based DVR technology and traditional programming tiers as well as housing a video library with 55,000 on-demand titles and third-party apps including Pandora and Netflix. Light Reading (8/19)
Tech writer James Sanders provides an extensive overview of 5G technology for business professionals, explaining the use of enhanced mobile broadband, ultrareliable low-latency communications and massive machine type communications in various industries and consumer sectors. He notes that 5G "does not overlap with 4G standards like LTE or WiMAX, and it cannot be delivered to existing phones, tablets, or wireless modems by means of tower upgrades or software updates." TechRepublic (8/16)
Charging cables for smartphones, tablets and laptops can expose the devices to cyberattacks and shouldn't be shared, experts warn. The cables, as well as public USB charging stations, can be infected with malware or modified to give hackers access. Forbes (8/15)
The market for fitness trackers and smartwatches in North America grew 38% in the second quarter. Samsung's market share increased to reach 11% as Apple's dropped 2%. Mobile Marketer (8/19)
Samsung's Galaxy A10s phone will include a dual camera, a 6.2-inch Infinity-V display and a fingerprint scanner as it attempts to compete with Apple's iPhone XR. The price and release date have not been announced. TechRepublic (8/13)
As a member of the only trade association dedicated to the growth of the Consumer Satellite Industry, you'll have access to specialized training courses, benefit from consumer advocacy programs, stay up to date on various issues and help to grow the satellite industry here in the United States. Sign up today!
Mr. Steven Hill, President, Satellite Broadcasting & Communications Association provided an article to the Ohio Township News about undeserved Ohioans and how they can utilize satellite services for all their needs without waiting on DSL or cable. View the file.